A fairly quick and easy hamburger soup with macaroni that I just threw together. This recipe freezes well. The soup will thicken upon standing.
Prep:15 minsCook:6 hrs 10 minsTotal:6 hrs 25 mins Servings:8 Yield:8 servings
Decrease Serving8Increase ServingAdjustOriginal recipe yields 8 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 ½ cups water
- ½ (32 fluid ounce) container beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- ¾ cup barley
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or to taste
- Step 1Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Transfer beef to a slow cooker.
- Step 2Add water, broth, tomatoes, corn, lima beans, barley, celery, onion, bouillon, paprika, Italian seasoning, and bay leaf to the slow cooker.
- Step 3Cook on Low for 6 hours.
- Step 4Just before serving, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Step 5Add cooked macaroni to the soup. Stir until combined and heated through. Serve immediately garnished with parsley.
I Made It Print
380 calories; protein 20.8g 42% DV; carbohydrates 55.1g 18% DV; fat 9.6g 15% DV; cholesterol 33.2mg 11% DV; sodium 654.1mg 26% DV.